By the 1840s, a community called Copenhagen Corners had developed south of Naper’s Settlement. To serve the growing community, townspeople built a clapboard schoolhouse. Copenhagen School’s enrollment varied, ranging from as many as 22 pupils and to as few as 4. First grade through eighth grade students were taught at the same time in this one-room schoolhouse. In one-room schoolhouses like this one, students learned reading, writing, arithmetic, geography, history, civil government, and science, among other subjects. Like other rural schools in Naperville, the academic calendar of Copenhagen School revolved around planting and harvesting times when children were needed at home to help with farm work. For many students, this was the only education they would receive. The Copenhagen Schoolhouse originally stood on present-day Route 59 and 83rd Street and was torn down in 1922. The schoolhouse at Naper Settlement is a reconstruction of this schoolhouse. Some of the original materials were salvaged—you can even still see the graffiti carved into the siding in a few places.